A better half to girls within the old global offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the learn of ladies within the historical world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to deal with the research of girls within the old global
• Explores a vast variety of subject matters on the subject of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess thought; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the kin, the kingdom, and faith; gown and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; girls in past due Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of historic issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions on the subject of girls in antiquity contains contributions from a number of the so much widespread students linked to the examine of girls in antiquity
Selected by means of selection as a 2013 amazing educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Similar women books
Dictionary of ladies world wide: 25,000 girls during the a long time
Before 1893 no lady anyplace on the planet had the vote in a countrywide election. 100 years later just about all nations had enfranchised ladies, and it was once an indication of backwardness to not have performed so.
This is the tale of the way this momentous swap happened. the 1st surely worldwide heritage of ladies and the vote, it takes the tale of ladies in politics from the earliest occasions to the current day, revealing startling new connections throughout time and nationwide barriers - from Europe and North the United States to Asia, Africa, Latin the United States, and the Muslim international post-9/11.
A tale of people in addition to of wider activities, it contains the usually dramatic life-stories of women's suffrage pioneers from internationally, portray bright biographical pix of everybody from Susan B. Anthony and the Pankhursts to hitherto lesser-known activists in China, Latin the USA, and Africa.
It is additionally the 1st significant post-feminist historical past of women's fight for the vote. Controversially, Jad Adams rejects the generally accredited concept that good fortune was once basically because of the the strain workforce politics of the suffragists and their supporters. finally, he argues, it was once nationalism, no longer feminism, that was once crucial think about successful ladies the vote.
Over the past decade the realm has skilled a transforming into curiosity in difficulties linked to the nonmedical use of gear. This curiosity has corresponded to a true development within the volume, range, and social effect of using alcohol and medicine in lots of societies. hence, the volume of analysis and writing with regards to drug difficulties has tremendously elevated, and it has turn into very tough for one person to take care of with all of the appropriate literature.
The following Christina Wolbrecht boldly demonstrates how the Republican and Democratic events have helped remodel, and feature been reworked by way of, American public debate and coverage on women's rights. She starts through exhibiting the evolution of the positions of either events on women's rights over the last 5 a long time.
- Sonia Sotomayor: First Hispanic U.S. Supreme Court Justice (Gateway Biographies)
- Women Poets and Urban Aestheticism: Passengers of Modernity
- Egyptian Women Workers and Entrepreneurs
- Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible's Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
- Filming Women in the Third Reich
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
Berry created the Graduate and Professional Opportunities Program, augmenting graduate opportunities for racial minorities and white women. She also advocated for raising the budget substantially for educational programs for the disabled. S. Commission on Civil Rights. An outspoken advocate for civil rights, Berry was targeted for removal from her position by President Ronald Reagan. She fought the Reagan administration in court, and won. ’’ Berry was also an outspoken opponent of apartheid in South Africa and one of the founders of the Free South Africa Movement.
New York: Stewart, Tabori and Chang, 1989. McNeil, Genna Rae. ’’ Notable Black American Women. Ed. Jessie Carney Smith. Detroit: Gale Research, 1992, 80–86. BERRY, SARA S. , and attended public and private schools in western Massachusetts and southern California. Her mother worked full time as a homemaker; her father worked as a professor. After receiving a bachelor’s degree in history from Radcliffe College in 1961, Berry went on to pursue graduate work in economics, earning a master’s degree and then a doctorate in economics from the University of Michigan.
Black Resistance/White Law: A History of Constitutional Racism in America. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1971; reprint Penguin, 1994. ADDITIONAL SOURCES The Moorland-Spingarn Research Center at Howard University houses Mary Frances Berry’s papers. Lanker, Brian. I Dream a World. New York: Stewart, Tabori and Chang, 1989. McNeil, Genna Rae. ’’ Notable Black American Women. Ed. Jessie Carney Smith. Detroit: Gale Research, 1992, 80–86. BERRY, SARA S. , and attended public and private schools in western Massachusetts and southern California.